In August of 2019, Raymond welcomed Lucia Corvera to our Southern California team as a pre-apprentice. Lucia is a Newport Harbor High School graduate and was a participant of the Coastline Regional Occupation Program (ROP) for Construction and Technology through Estancia High School. Lucia was introduced to Raymond through the ROP program, which Raymond actively participates in, providing mentors, material and supplies, and scholarships.
One year later, Lucia is working for us as a Carpenter Apprentice on a Raymond project with Clark Construction in Anaheim. Lucia has been described as very hard working and eager to learn from her peers and supervisors. She began on the project performing framing and sheathing of facades, and now, as the project nears completion, she is working on cleanup and organization.
We sat down with Lucia to get her thoughts on the industry and her plans for the future.
How would you describe your first year with Raymond?
- Working for Raymond has been very fun. I love the construction environment — it is never boring and everyone I have met has been very nice and helpful. I have probably learned something new from each Raymond employee on site. Raymond is very active with its employees and I feel like they really care about me, and my progress. Safety is a top priority on site.
- I have always enjoyed working with my hands, but I had never thought I would be in construction.
- My high school offered a class in construction, and I thought, why not! I ended up really enjoying it. It also made me aware of the career opportunities and paths that the construction industry could offer.
- If you get the opportunity to take classes in subjects that you are unsure about, take every course, take it, just do it!
- I plan on learning as much as I can and working my way to Foreman.
- How I have grown in the areas of leadership and communication. I was very shy before starting on this jobsite. I have learned that you have to speak up and communicate clearly for efficiency and safety.
- I enjoy spending time with family and going to the beach. This summer, my friends and I have started playing beach volleyball. We are beginners but we are getting better and having a blast!
I have also just recently started driving a manual car. It’s challenging but it has been so much fun and has brought me even closer to my dad (pictured left with Lucia) who is helping me learn!
. . . . .